Birria style tacos with consome is a popular Mexican dish originally from the state of Jalisco Mexico, Its main base is lamb meat, but the most commonly used meat today is beef since it is cheaper than the previous one, in addition to being easier to find at the butcher shops around the corner where most people shop.
Birria can be served in Consome, which is a kind of hot broth made from dried chilies and other spices, where the meat is served shredded or in pieces and which has to be very soft to the point that it must fall off the bone alone. This Consommé is served with onion and chopped coriander, sauce and lemon juice. It is popular at baptism parties, weddings, major holidays, and Christmas parties.
Birria style tacos with consome recipe has gained international fame not only for its exquisite taste but also because people attribute healing properties to it after a long night of partying.
In addition to the popular consome, Birria can also be served in tacos and although it is delicious in both forms, my particularly favorite presentation is tacos. These are made with shredded meat and the tortilla is heated and bathed with part of the broth in which it has been prepared. Definitely a delight that you cannot stop trying!
How To Cook Birria Style Tacos With Consome Recipe
Lamb or beef is used to prepare it. The cuts that are used are ribs and shank. It is marinated with a mixture of guajillo, ancho, and chipotle peppers, although some use the morita pepper as a replacement. Spices such as cumin, thyme, oregano, marjoram and cloves are used. By letting the meat rest with the mixture, the flavors permeate it. What makes a meat full of flavor and delicious.
Birria style tacos with consome recipe although it is a delight takes time to prepare, especially in its preparation. That is why today’s technology is essential to be able to enjoy the dishes that we like so much without further complication!
One of the memories I have when I watched my grandmother cook was the love and patience she put into food. I’m sure she would have loved to have an Instant Pot in which she could make her famous dishes without spending so much time in the kitchen.
As I mentioned before, the consome is very popular and this is made by adding extra broth to make it less thick, it is served hot with lemon, sauce and cilantro and chopped onion.
For the tacos, the corn tortillas are fried or heated with a little of the broth in which it was cooked, this to give it not only flavor but also color when serving. They are filled with shredded lamb meat and served with the traditional Mexican hot sauce, onion, lemon juice and minced coriander.
Hmmmm, they are truly delicious, I know that when you try them it will be one of the favorite recipes on your menu, let me know in the comments how you found them and if you love your quick cooker like I do!
Birria Style Tacos With Consome RecipePrint
- 3 pound beef chuck roast (see notes)
- Salt and pepper
- 10 dried chile de árbol peppers
- 6 dried guajillo chile peppers
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large white onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon ground clove
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
FOR THE TACOS
- 48 corn tortillas, white or yellow
- 10 ounces queso quesadilla cheese or Monterey jack, shredded
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced white onion
- Lime wedges
- Liberally sprinkle salt and pepper on beef chuck roast. Rub into roast and set aside.
- Place chile de árbols, guajillo chiles, garlic, and onions in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from stove. Transfer one cup of cooking liquid, peppers, garlic, and onion to a blender. Add paprika, cumin, oregano, ground clove, salt, and pepper. Pulse until smooth.
- Cut beef chuck roast into large pieces. Place in dutch oven. Add the sauce from step three and cover with water. Add bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 4-6 hours.
- Shred meat and return to stove to simmer for an additional 1-2 hours.
FOR THE TACOS
- Heat skillet to medium heat.
- Dip a tortilla in consumé (birria broth); shake off excess liquid. Transfer to a plate or cutting board. Sprinkle with cheese (approximately 1-2 tablespoons). Dip a second tortilla in consomé, shake off excess liquid, and place atop the cheese.
- Spray skillet with non-stick cooking oil and transfer the quesadilla from step two. Fry for approximately 30 seconds or until slightly browned, then flip and fry an additional 30 seconds or until slightly browned and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining tortillas/cheese.
- Fill each quesadilla/taco shell with approximately 1/4 cup of the beef from the birria and top with onion and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and side of consomé for dipping.
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 974 kcal
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 1371mg
- Fat: 44g
- Saturated Fat: 19g
- Unsaturated Fat: 20g
- Trans Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 89g
- Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 62g
- Cholesterol: 178mg
Keywords: birria tacos with consome