- 3 pound beef chuck roast (see notes)
- Salt and pepper
- 10 dried chile de árbol peppers
- 6 dried guajillo chile peppers
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large white onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon ground clove
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
FOR THE TACOS
- 48 corn tortillas, white or yellow
- 10 ounces queso quesadilla cheese or Monterey jack, shredded
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced white onion
- Lime wedges
- Liberally sprinkle salt and pepper on beef chuck roast. Rub into roast and set aside.
- Place chile de árbols, guajillo chiles, garlic, and onions in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from stove. Transfer one cup of cooking liquid, peppers, garlic, and onion to a blender. Add paprika, cumin, oregano, ground clove, salt, and pepper. Pulse until smooth.
- Cut beef chuck roast into large pieces. Place in dutch oven. Add the sauce from step three and cover with water. Add bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 4-6 hours.
- Shred meat and return to stove to simmer for an additional 1-2 hours.
FOR THE TACOS
- Heat skillet to medium heat.
- Dip a tortilla in consumé (birria broth); shake off excess liquid. Transfer to a plate or cutting board. Sprinkle with cheese (approximately 1-2 tablespoons). Dip a second tortilla in consomé, shake off excess liquid, and place atop the cheese.
- Spray skillet with non-stick cooking oil and transfer the quesadilla from step two. Fry for approximately 30 seconds or until slightly browned, then flip and fry an additional 30 seconds or until slightly browned and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining tortillas/cheese.
- Fill each quesadilla/taco shell with approximately 1/4 cup of the beef from the birria and top with onion and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and side of consomé for dipping.
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 974 kcal
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 1371mg
- Fat: 44g
- Saturated Fat: 19g
- Unsaturated Fat: 20g
- Trans Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 89g
- Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 62g
- Cholesterol: 178mg
Keywords: birria tacos with consome